Thursday, June 17, 2010

Team Teach Feedback: Disabilities

Please provide feedback for the Disabilities Team Teach in the comments section of this post.

When we conducted our SOA we agreed to incorporate feedback to assist as part of the evaluation process.

Below is a list of possible questions, however if you feel something is missing please feel free to add on. This is a continuous process and we would greatly appreciate if you can answer at least ONE of the following questions on the class blog for every group that presents following their presentations.

Potential Questions:
What part resonated most with you from the presentation?
What did you find most interesting?
Were any particular portions applicable to your own life?
Questions, Comments or Concerns?
Other constructive criticisms?

4 comments:

Quixie said...

I enjoyed the activities and in particular the PBS website with examples of what it is like to try and accomplish tasks with specific disabilities. I also enjoyed learning a bit of history about the issues.

I left with several questions about the empowering/dis-empowering impact of disability labels. I also wonder about the relationship between social structures (i.e. family/education) and the agency of individuals with disabilities. In what ways do others define/limit/restrict what we are capable of? In what ways do others unlimit/unrestrict? What do others think about the need for more limitation or unlimitation? I wonder where other people believe the stigma of having a disability comes from. Also, what does it mean to be "disabled"? Aren't we all not able to do one thing or another?

This is a very interesting topic - thank you for your presentation, and it was nice to meet Ashby :)

Tired Thomas said...

The PBS simulations were a great insight into the everyday lives of disabled students. The lesson was very informative but I felt there was a lot of lecturing which made me a little sleepy. However, I learned quite a bit about disabled students that I didn't know and discovered that some disabled students are able to hide thier disability.

Leon said...

I really like the presentation overall. The definition part at the beginning was a great. I didn't realize there are so many different types and different definitions.
I found the activity (matching people with their disabilities) fascinating, because I did not know some of these successful people have disabilities.
Overall, the information presented is very useful. Great work!

Liz said...

I agree with everyone the presentation went really well. The simulations were the part, it was not only great to talk about these issues but actually live them. Also, I think it was great to talk about DSP here at Cal. I think it would have been great to talk a walk around campus and assign up a visible or invisible disability to talk about accessibility. I really liked when we talked about mainstreaming also. I think the only thing that possibly could have been changed is when we were reading the various disabilities out loud and history of DSP I got lost with so much information I left with questions or forgot some of it.